Immigration Consultation



Children and Partners

If you are at least 18 years old, and are a Canadian citizen or are permanent resident, you may sponsor your children under 21, or your spouse if:

  • Your capability to support yourself and your sponsor as well as any dependent children they may have must be proven to be considered

  • If you agree to become a sponsor, you are promising to give financial support for the basic needs of the person you are sponsoring and any dependent children they may have.

  • Note:

    • Your responsibility to the person you sponsor will NOT be cancelled even if:

      • The person you are sponsoring becomes a Canadian citizen

      • You become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down

      • You or the person you sponsor moves to another province or country

      • You have financial problems

  • The duration you are responsible for that person varies on the type of family member you are sponsoring and is either 3 or 10 years.

  • There are many situations in which you may not be able to sponsor your family member, please contact us to find out more.

Parents and Gradnparents

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents if:

  • You’re at least 18 years old

  • You live in Canada

  • You’re a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act

  • You have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor. i.e. must have proof of income

  • Sponsorship makes you responsible for:

    • Providing financial support for your sponsored family members for 20 years, starting when they become permanent residents

      • Note: the person you sponsor is responsible for making every effort to support themselves and their family members

    • Repaying any provincial social assistance (money from the government) your sponsored family members get during that time