Immigration Consultation

Destination Countries



Immigrating to Canada requires a great deal of knowledge and expertise. Before you seek the help of a consultant, it is important to understand the different options that are available to you. This will help your first consultation run smoothly and it will allow you to be more prepared for the long journey ahead.

There are many different ways that someone can immigrate to Canada. The immigration section of this website will help you find out what ways are available and what qualifications are required. Whether you are a business investor or a student, going through the various immigration categories will help you understand what the Canadian government requires.

Once you have had a chance to learn what immigration routes are available for you. you can then contact a consultant that can help guide you and assist with the process. M. Shahid & Associates has qualified consultants that can offer their experience and knowledge to help you when making this important move.


As a richly multicultural society, Canada proudly accepts over 130,000 students from abroad per year, while thousands of others come to learn English or French.

Study permits are suited for those persons who wish to pursue educational programs held in Canada.

  1. Show proof of acceptance as well as tuition payment to the educational institution of choice

  2. Demonstrate financial capability to provide for all living expenditures.

Student permits are granted on the basis that the applicant demonstrates a genuine intent to return to their host country upon completion of their educational program. Student visas are most often granted on yearly basis and renewed at the completion of every school year; pending applicants meet their determined criteria.

Please note that should you wish to take a course or program in Canada with duration of less than six months, you do not require a study permit. However, you may benefit from applying for a Study permit prior to coming to Canada if you think there is a possibility that you may wish to continue your studies after this short-time period. This way, you will not have to leave Canada in order to apply for a study permit should you wish to continue in your studies in Canada.

Once you have a study permit you may work part- time on campus at the college or university at which you attend as a full- time student.

Each province regulates education and schools.

Student visas are only required for adults. Minors do not require study permits but must have a custodian in Canada.


Canada accepts approximately 90,000 foreign workers per year in order to assist Canadian employers in meeting their skill shortage needs.  There are two parties involved in approving such workers. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) select workers who demonstrate expertise in their profession.

In almost all cases, you must have a valid work permit to work in Canada. However, prior to applying for a work permit you must have a job offer from a Canadian employer.

Before you apply for a work permit, you must obtain the following:

  1. An employer must first offer you a job in Canada;

  2. HRSDC must provide a positive Labour Market Opinion (LMO) of your job offer.

  3. After HRSDC confirms that a foreign worker may fill the job, you apply to CIC for your work permit.

However, certain types of work do not need HRSDC approval. The categories of work that fall under this exemption are people entering Canada under International Agreements, such as NAFTA.

Jobs Exempt from Work Permit Requirements 

In special situations, you may be able to work temporarily in Canada without holding a work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Check the list of work permit exemptions below. You may not need a work permit if your work is described below. Brief descriptions are provided here, but for more complete descriptions, see the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

  • Business Visitors

  • Foreign Representatives

  • Family Members of Foreign Representatives

  • Military Personnel

  • Foreign Government Officers

  • On-Campus Employment

  • Performing Artists

  • Athletes and Coaches

  • News Reporters

  • Public Speakers

  • Convention Organizers

  • Clergy

  • Judges and Referees

  • Examiners and Evaluators

  • Expert Witnesses or Investigators

  • Health-Care Students

  • Civil Aviation Inspectors

  • Accident or Incident Inspectors

  • Crew Members

  • Emergency Service Providers

Live-In Caregiver

This is a special program that allows foreign nationals to come to Canada and work as live-in caregivers. A live-in caregiver is someone who provides care to children, the elderly or the disabled in a private household. After working two years as a live-in caregiver, you can apply to be a permanent resident of Canada.

To learn about life in Canada, visit the About Canada page!

May Shahid